The Faith - 1 of 6 - 06/07/2010

Posted by Nic Colgrove | Labels: | Posted On Thursday, June 10, 2010 at 2:00 PM

To start things off, I'm new at blogging. In fact I'm not much of a writer. So my messages might be slow, delayed, upbeat, short, long, who knows? So hang in there.

-----------------------

It seems like this DVD series is having us take a step back at our faith.... and having us ask some basic, yet critical questions. (And that's good... right?) In this first DVD, Chuck had us focus on three words that are soooo common in the church. So I'll ask you; What is your definition of the following:

 - - "Christianity"
 - - "Truth"
 - - "Faith"

Christianity -
Chuck said that some of the most common answers are something like:
- - "My Belief System" ; "A Form of Worship" ; "A Religion"

However, we have to remember that Christianity should be considers as our "A complete world view based on fundamental truths." If we only see Christianity as beliefs or values and not a COMPLETE VIEW, we are missing such a huge picture of what we are about. If we only believe, but don't act and live out our values, we are nothing but a large set of hypocrites. Christianity should consume every aspect of our life.

This weekend I wore my "FreedMen Nebraska 2010" shirt around town. It is one that boldly says "CHRISTIAN MEN" on it in bright red letters. I think the shirt looks great, but it also displays a great message. Somehow though, I found myself constantly thinking... "I need to be on my best behavior since I have this shirt on. People can see my 'beliefs' without me asking." I kept thinking I need to be more patient, I need to be more loving and more kind. What image am I setting off. I need to be MORE CHRIST LIKE! It is amazing how that simple t-shirt tried to make me change my COMPLETE WORLD VIEW. Since then I have been challenging myself to live that world view without that shirt on.

Truth - Faith

I'm going to take on both of these items together. Because both of these items rely upon each other. Chuck helps us understand that Truth is "That which conforms to reality." Chuck described it like a road map. If the map doesn't follow the land, it can't take you where you are going. It isn't the Truth. --And in our walk with Christ, anything that isn't the Truth... it is sin.

Now for Faith, it can be described as the "earnest belief that the Truth is real." It is IMPOSSIBLE, to have Faith unless we have some understanding of the Truth. But Truth does us no good, unless we have some desire for the Faith that it is real.  These two concepts/definitions were unbelievable to me.  I had never thought of the core foundation these two words hold for us.  I'm still trying to process.

-----------------------

So... I'm looking forward to what Chuck has to offer in these DVD's. What is your thoughts on Christianity, Truth, Faith. Give us a post!

Comments:

There are 0 comments for The Faith - 1 of 6 - 06/07/2010

Post a Comment